Well, so for the sort of funny story.....When we left San Carlos, we put in Las Glorias SINOLOA into the GPS. Two almost identical ones came up about 1 km difference in overall distance (about 350 kms from San Carlos). We figured that it was the difference between the little town square and ?? so off we went. Long boring drive but no problems on the toll roads. I know with the recent events that people were a bit nervous about us traveling down here but all was perfectly well. Lots of military on the road. We love that. Even went through a drug enforement check-point where Doug got his first frisking. They were super kind, professional and polite and just doing their jobs.
We got to our turn-off and the GPS (both) took us off to the right of the 15D Cuota highway. Perfect. But then it wrapped us around to the east and over the highway. Uh-oh....last I checked, the beach was west of us so although I know we haven't been around for a few years I was pretty sure it didn't get moved. Of course, we couldn't find a place to pull over and check our maps right away so we ended up going about 7 kms out of our way. Not bad. Weird thing is that we actually had two GPS' running and they both sent us the wrong way. Full disclosure, the GPS on my phone wanted us to go off before Guasave and we figured it was wrong as our other, tried and tested GPS had got us there before. so we ignored the phone GPS (ha ha). I'll insert here that the only thing we could figure out was that there is a small puebla named Las Glorias somewhere EAST of the highway and also Las Glorias at the beach.
Just before we got to the ill-fated turn-off we went through a toll booth. It was only 23 pesos. I said to Doug that it was so cheap we could go through it twice (remember that I said that...). After we got turned around guess where we had to go? Back up the highway to the SAME toll booth and got to pay again (guess it was foreshadowing...) but this time it was 24 pesos. Guess it is more expensive going north? NOT ONLY did we get to go through the same toll booth twice in 30 minutes just before the toll booth we had to go through a "fruit" checkpoint where I lost my five apples. No, there was not a fruit checkpoint going south.
If this was the end of the story it would be funny. So we re-programmed in Las Glorias again and beat the GPS into telling us to go west. turned us off the 15D highway and down a dirt road. Now, when we came to Las Glorias with our friends Al & Colleen in 2013, we remember going down some pretty lousy roads for the first part of the drive. Well, this took us down a dike and beside a cornfield. Doug turned us around (good thing we are small) and AGAIN we headed back out to the highway, about 3 kms away. I looked behind us and a LARGE corn truck was bearing down on us. I'm sure he was as surprised to see us out there, on probable private land, as we were to see him! Anyway, a friendly wave to follow them (we knew the only way back out) and we were, once again headed the right way. If you have been able to keep track of this, send me an email because I'm not sure I can even figure it out.
Yes, we did FINALLY arrive at Las Glorias. It was once a lovely (I'm sure) little place but the sun and sea has taken it's toll and it is pretty beat up. Apparently the new owner is making changes and hopefully he can bring it back to it's former "glorious state". The lady who checked us in for one night was lovely and so was the owner. We wish them the best of luck! However, it has a super amazing beach, right out front....
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment