Tuesday, 14 February 2023

Melaque (Feb 14)

Chaos. 

I’m sometimes struck by the lovable, unabashed chaotic nature of life here. Don’t get me wrong because I love it. As we walk in the evening through the regular burrows and neighbourhoods it strikes me how the kids, cats, dogs, just run back and forth visiting, playing, laughing. Enjoying life. Everyone knows everyone. We, total strangers, can walk by and say “Buenas Noches” and without exception, everyone returns the greeting. I sometimes wonder why our lives in, I’ll say Canada because that’s where I’m from, can’t replicate this. There is just something different here about life. It seems in Canada we are so much more staid, much more worrisome, and insular. Maybe it is partly the ability to spend one’s life mostly outside. There is a different something….

Entrepreneurship. That’s the other thing. If someone here has an idea that will earn money they just do it (sorry Nike – you didn’t really invent the slogan). Build a taco stand, churro stand, ice cream truck out of an old VW, matters not. Create a bakery in your home that runs for 50 years where people walk right through your living room to buy the baked goods, matters not. Just work at your business. Soon it is passed from one generation to another (if luck permits). Amazing. At home you wouldn’t be allowed most of these ideas. There are permits to fill out, licenses, questions. Oh, where is your “food safety” certificate? Balderdash. In North America there have been neighbours who report kids with lemonade stands. Ridiculous. WHY???

Today I ran smack into a National Guard fellow coming into the grocery store as I went back in to grab a bag. He laughed, I laughed. He had a VERY large automatic gun, I did not. No problem. We are always grateful for their presence. Can you imagine that happening in Canada?    

Do I enjoy coming here because of the difference? That is a question I have asked myself often since we got here. I think so. It’s a break from the regular way of life in my world. Not so sanitized, not so perfect. Maybe Canada needs a little Mexico in her soul…

Thank you Mexico. Keep on being you. We love you.

Enjoy the pictures of our beautiful life here. Oh, Happy Valentines Day too!!

Another beautiful seaside day


Morning coffee with my best friend


Organized chaos at Super Hawaii market
Sidewalk is packed with product, shoppers, a dog or two
and everyone just steps around everything.

Charge your cell phone whereever you can!

The wall of instant coffees at 
Aurrera Bodega - our new favourite grocery store

Had to call roadside assistance as my
bike chain fell off

Valentines dessert
Peace out friends!

Thought for the Day: Sometimes you have to stop thinking so much and go where your heart takes you.    

1 comment:

  1. The U.S. has too many rules for me. That said, Mexico is the opposite extreme. We have the same rules, the constitution pretty much reads the same. Here it's more of "live and let live". Or what we like to say, "mind your own business" :) Great pics! It looks like you're really having fun!

    ReplyDelete