Saturday, 28 September 2013

Cruise-Friday Sept 27th

I think a person can get used to this life, quite easily!! Such great staff, great food, great company. We seem to easily be able to while away the day from sunup (ours maybe not quite so early as others…) to sundown (ours maybe a bit later than others…) We spent time exploring the boat again. Kevin, you asked if there were many people on the boat as my pictures did not show too many. There are 1,970 people on board and a crew of 900. Lots here, I just try and avoid getting too many of them in my pictures!

Friday started off with an announcement from the captain at 7:30 a.m. that a passenger was very ill and would have to be air-lifted off the ship. So sad. We hope all will turn out well for him or her. Everyone was asked to stay in their rooms. The staff cleared an area up on top for the stretcher but the helicopter did not land, they rappelled a man down to the boat, which we could not see and then lifted the stretcher up to the helicopter. It was amazing how that helicopter pilot skillfully held that chopper right at the topside of the boat. Hands up
for the U.S. Coast Guard!!


We hung with family and watched most of Top Gun on the gigantic screen by the pool. Somehow that movie just never gets old! We played around of mini-golf up on the top deck. We can’t figure out why everyone else vacated the area once we got started. During this day, we were intermittently entertained by my brother Mark, dropping his I-pod in the water, spilling an entire ice cream on himself (while walking around with his I-pod in a bowl of dried rice) and last but not least, spilling a glass of wine on our niece Lacey. God, how I love my brother! He makes me feel not quite so clumsy!!! Always good to have back-up in the family– thanks bro!!
Look at the above shot. You can just see a whale spout on the right!!

Gerardo, from Mexico City is our Purser who takes care of our room, doing a brilliant job in the morning and turning down everything in the evening (…thanks for the chocolates!!). He has been gone from home for 7 months and is looking forward to getting back to his wife and 3 year old daughter, Fernanda, around the middle of November for a nice long 3 months away from the cruise ship. After that, he will be joining the Ruby Princess for the Baltic Sea run. We have commandeered a lovely dining table in the Provence Dining Room,  #104, with Ratchanov (Ratcha) as our server. She is an extremely competent and, merciously, patient lady from the Phillipines who provides us with amazing service and dinner each and every evening. No doubt, after dealing with us for 18 days, she will retire after this cruise is over!!  Friday’s special dessert was Baked Alaska. I guess it is a special thing to be served on the last day of a cruise (some of the passengers are disembarking on Saturday). Oh my gosh – it was huge and Martin, after getting his slice declared  “I don’t know whether to eat it or to set it up as a base camp!”

Cheers friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment